Before New Year's, Update DEERS

Is your information current in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)? Before the year ends, be sure you and your family’s information is up to date and correct. Incorrect information in DEERS can cause problems with TRICARE claims and other health care benefits. To remain eligible for TRICARE coverage, you must keep your information up to date in DEERS.

What is DEERS?

DEERS is a database of active duty and retired service members, their family members, and others who are eligible for TRICARE. Maintaining your DEERS record is key to getting your TRICARE benefits.

Qualifying Life Events and DEERS

If you experience a Qualifying Life Event (QLE), update DEERS. A QLE is a certain change in your life, such as marriage, the birth of a child, or a child going away to college, which may mean different TRICARE options are available to you. Therefore, it’s essential to update and verify your information in DEERS anytime you experience a QLE. Remember, your Social Security number (SSN) and the SSNs of all of your covered family members must be in DEERS for your TRICARE coverage to be accurate.

How to Make Updates

You have several options for updating and verifying DEERS information. You can make changes in person, by phone, online, or by mail. To add or remove family members, visit a local ID card office. Only sponsors can add a family member in DEERS. Family members age 18 and older may update their own contact information. To update your information, choose one of these options:

  • Phone: Call 1-800-538-9552 (TTY/ TDD: 1-866-363-2883) or fax updates to 1-800-336-4416
  • Online: Log into milConnect 
  • Mail: Mail updates to: 
    Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office 
    Attention: COA
    400 Gigling Road 
    Seaside, CA 93955-6771

Find more information about DEERS on the TRICARE website. Take command of your health and start the New Year with your DEERS information up to date.

Return to headlines

©2013- Veterans Internet Service
Not Affliated with DOD or any Government agency