Service Members Should Register and Request Absentee Ballots Now

DoD News, Defense Media Activity

WASHINGTON, Jan. 25, 2016 - Defense Department personnel and their families who plan to vote by absentee ballot in the upcoming presidential primaries and the general election in November should complete a registration application and request their ballots now, according to a Federal Voting Assistance Program release.

To register and request ballots, complete the Federal Post Card Application using the FPCA online assistant to fill out the form or pick up a hard-copy version from your voting assistance officer or nearest U.S. Embassy or consular office.

FVAP officials suggest completing a new application annually and with every move, or at least 90 days prior to the election.

State primary election dates are listed on the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s website, with registration information in a drop-down menu at the top left side of the home page.

To find your state's election website for specific information on candidates, elections, contact information and links to your local election office, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program contact page.

For more information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program or help with the absentee voting process, visit the program’s website or call 703-588-1584, toll free at 800-438-VOTE or via DSN at 425-1584. Help also is available by sending an email to

Related Links

Federal Post Card Application Online Assistant

Related Sites

Federal Voting Assistance Program

Federal Voting Assistance Program Contact Page

Return to headlines

©2013- Veterans Internet Service
Not Affliated with DOD or any Government agency