Please participate in our short survey
By Claudette Roulo
DoD News, Defense Media Activity
WASHINGTON, July 14, 2014 - After nearly five years as a prisoner of suspected Haqqani network terrorists, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has returned to regular duty at Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Texas, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren said today.
As the Army continues its investigation into the facts and circumstances surrounding Bergdahl's capture and disappearance, he is not restricted in any way, Warren noted. "He is a normal soldier," he added.
An initial Army investigation into Bergdahl's disappearance in June 2009 did not conclude that he voluntarily left his installation, an Army official, speaking on background, said during a briefing last month. During his captivity, Bergdahl was considered "missing/captured" by the Defense Department.
Bergdahl completed the final phase of the reintegration process under the control of U.S. Army South, according to an Army statement.
The reintegration process begins as soon as a returnee is released and has no set timeline for completion, defense officials said during a briefing last month. In Bergdahl's case, the reintegration process lasted about six weeks.
"He will now return to regular duty within the command, where he can contribute to the mission," the statement said.